Kidsmart Book Publishing

Kidsmart Book Publishing
Great Start !

Saturday, July 2, 2011

3-Book Reviewer Ella Johnson's Book Of The Month: Slippery Willie's Stupid Ugly Shoess By Larry Peterson

A READ & RECOMMENDS  Book Of The Month                            July 2011
.
 The first thing to hook me was the title, SLIPPERY WILLIES STUPID, UGLY SHOES,  It was a shoe in for me. A title you could not pass up. I blogged about the importance of a catchy title on an essay blog at writestuff-writenow, (MAY). This is what I'm talking about.
   The second thing that reeled me in was the subject matter ( children with special needs) these shoes are special orthopedic shoes to help poor Willie stand up straight and stop slipping around..
    My dad bought me an ugly pair of shoes once, when I was eight or ten. They were an  awful looking blue color "clodhoppers" with a strap across the instep and a dumb blue bow. I hated those shoes. I wanted a pair of Hush Puppies. You think it was because he said "they were good for my feet"? I actually tried to kill those shoes by beating them to death on the sidewalk. They really were good, tough shoes though....lasted a good two years. I actually had to grow out of them - G-r-r..

Max Nightjar

KSB invited Children's Book Reviewer and former teacher Ella Johnson www.mymcbookks.wordpress.com/ to pick her favorite Book of the Month, for July,  and to write a review.

     Willie Wiggles hates his slippery feet. He just slips slides and spins all over the place. But what he hates even more are the special shoes that have been made for him, that will help him to walk just like all the other kids. Willie thinks that they are the stupidest, ugliest shoes in the whole world.
Discover how we sometimes worry about things about ourselves when actually there is nothing to worry about in the first place.
One reason Willie doesn't want to wear the shoes,is  because he is afraid the kids at school will laugh at him. The kids at school do laugh at him - even his teacher and principal.

Author Larry Peterson delivered a much needed educational subject about accepting each others differences and an excellent message for children. Apart from the word stupid, it sent a delightful message not only to children but to their parents and teachers as well.
The book is recommended for children ages 4-8 y/o. It comes in hardcover 24 pgs. and is a picture book. The book received ***** stars  and is also available as an ebook..

Ella Johnson interviewed  author Larry Peterson, who was born and raised  in the Bronx, New York, and now resides in Florida. He is a freelancer and has written many newspaper columns for local publications. This is his first children's book. www.tribute-books.com/ 

                                            June 3, 2011   Author Interview With Larry Peterson

 Ella:  I want to thank you for being my guest on Mymcbook's blog today.
  What is the last book you read?

Larry: I'm reading (again) the last volume #7, in  C.S.Lewis'  "The Chronicles Of Narnia.". The title is The Last Battle.  So I guess the last book I read was volume #6,  The Silver Chair. Anyways, I love how Lewis lets his creativity run with these books. And it is always from beginning to end about good vs evil. Of course good triumphs. The Characters are wonderful, like "Asian" the great lion to Jadis the "white witch", and Digory Kirke and Polly Plummer, and well - on and on. It is fun.

What were your earliest memories of writing?

Larry: I guess in sixth or seventh grade, I use to like to write stories about people and their "imagined"  weaknesses.

Were you encouraged to write or was it something that came naturally?

Larry: No, I think I just did it.

Are you working on a new book?

Yes, I just finished a novel called The Priest and The Peaches. It is about five kids from the Bronx who find themselves orphaned during the Christmas season in 1965. It is about their attempt to stay together as a family, and how the parish priest gently guides them on their beginning journey into, "grown-up world". I would classify it as YA or contemporary adult fiction. I don't know if it will ever get published, but you never know.  I am always insecure in the work I do - never really think it is very good.

What do you do when you're not writing or promoting your book?

Larry: I worked in the building trades in NYC  for fifteen years ( Metal Lathers and Reinforcing Iron workers- even worked on the Twin Towers). Had to leave the business when I was diagnosed with MS. I work part time in a high school cafeteria and write when I can. I take care of my wife who has cancer and is under going chemo therapy
.
What inspired you to write Slippery Willies Stupid, Ugly Shoes? 

Larry: We were Foster parents in New Jersey and the state sent us  two brothers, aged 3 and 6 who were suppose to stay about a week. The youngest, Bran had no self control and  he would just  get up and run into things, the wall, the door, off the steps. He never got hurt. He and his brother stayed with us for two years. It was Brian that put the idea into my head.

How did you come up with your characters.

Larry: From people I have met and known over the years.

Have you ever suffered from writers block?

Larry: Absolutely. To get rid of it I start to write, - write anything - even doodle. Sooner or later a coherent though kicks in.

How do you react to a negative review?

Larry: It is the "nature of the beast" so to speak, and I always learn from any review. No Problem..

Who are some of your favorite authors. Who would you love to dine with?

Larry: I never really thought about it, maybe Hemingway, definitely .C.S. Lewis and his buddy J.R.R. Tolkien. Just to be able to listen to them talk.

What advice would you give parents on selecting the right books for their children to read?

Larry: Find books that deal with giving to others, and that show that all people are special.

What advice would you give to new writers?

Larry: "Keep on trucking". It is a winding up and down road with many potholes, soft shoulders, and detours, but be tenacious and stay the course. Never take rejection personal.

Anything else you'd like to share with our readers?

Larry: That I appreciate the work that you do and for taking the time to do this with me. Thank you for this interview.

KidSmart Books, is a subsidiary of the KidSmart Fdn. Registered (TM) KidSmart, The Children's Workshop/Craftshop. Illustrations by A.McK.(P)2002-2011 Copyright(s) 2002-2011, GACM, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Interviews are conducted in accordance with FTC guidelines.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Max--I just saw your review and would like to let you know how much I appreciate your doing it. Your effort is really appreciated. Thanks so much.
    Sincerely,
    Larry Peterson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Max, thanks so much for posting about Larry's book, and I agree with you - the title "Slippery Willie's Stupid, Ugly Shoes" can't be beat!

    Thanks for sharing your story about your own experience with some ugly shoes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks also to Ella for spreading the word - we appreciate it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Translate