Kidsmart Book Publishing

Kidsmart Book Publishing
Great Start !

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Br'er Rabbit & The Tar Baby II, Meet Tommy Turtle & Red Fox


3/5/20
Q. Why is an airline pilot like a football player?    A. They both want to make safe touchdowns.

Greetings everyone!

     My name is Magpie and  this little guy next to  me is Rolly Polly or Rolo for short. I am your Griot for the Br'er Rabbit Meets Tar  Baby folktale.
    When we left you, Br'er Rabbit had introduced himself to Tar Baby who was sitting against a rock, but Tar Baby would not speak to Br'er Rabbit. So Br'er Rabbit tried to think of ways to get Tar Baby to speak to him. Let's see what he does.                                                                                                                   
     After two days of trying to figure out what to do, Br'er Rabbit decides to ask some friends of his in the forest. How he should deal with the silent Tar Baby. He looks around for Tommy Turtle, his racing  buddy. He finds Tommy resting near a cool brook under a shade tree.
       Br'er Rabbit knocks on Tommy Turtle's shell. "Oh Tommy, could U come outside your shell for a
minute?" After about 3 seconds, Tommy Turtle sticks his small green head slowly out of the shell.
     "Good day to you Tommy Turtle," said Br'er Rabbit. "Sorry to wake you. I hope I didn't disturb U?"
 "I wasn't asleep, just resting my eyes," said Tommy Turtle, as he yawned for the third time. "What can I do U, Br'er Rabbit?"
 "I need to ask your advice about a very curious character called, The Tar Baby. I have done everything I can think of to be nice to this chap, but he won't talk to me" 

     "Maybe U should just leave him alone for a while, and try again later," said Tommy Turtle. "Then again, maybe U should just let him be. If the chap wants to talk then he will. Stop trying to figure him out and stop trying to talk to him. Leave him alone, mind your own beeswax,  and maybe he'll warm up to U and speak," explained Tommy Turtle.

     "I disagree," said Br'er Rabbit. "I spent the whole day trying to make friends, and the Tar Baby shunned me. Now I must win him over and make him speak to me." insisted Br'er Rabbit. "I know he wants something from me. Besides, everyone speaks to me and likes me once they get to know me," said Br'er Rabbit--matter of factly.

     "Well, have it your way," said Tommy Turtle. "Why did you awaken me and bother to ask for advice in the first place?  You always do things your way Br'er Rabbit, no matter what anyone tells U."

     "Thanks for the advice anyways," said Br'er Rabbit. "I know exactly what to do now to make him speak."

     Tommy Turtle just  shakes his head as Br'er Rabbit darts off.  In a flash Tommy Turtle's eyes close and he is back to resting his eyes.

     On his way back to the location where he first met the Tar Baby, Br'er Rabbit runs into Mr. Red Fox, aka, Br'er Rabbit's worst nightmare. "Hello Red Fox!" exclaims Br'er Rabbit  "Can I ask your advice about a situation I recently encountered?"

     "I don't know," said Red Fox... "Can you?"

     "Yes I can. May I then, asked Br'er Rabbit, ask your advice."

     "Yes you may ask away," said Red Fox laughing.

     "What would you do if U went out of your way to make friends with somebody, and they ignored U?"

     "Well, " said Red Fox, I don't believe I have ever gone out my way to make friends with anybody." He looked at Br'er Rabbit, slyly. "That sounds like a pretty sticky situation to be in. Perhaps U ought to walk away and wait for a better day," said Red Fox.

     "I did." said Br'er Rabbit.

     "Well then why not try offering him a carrot or a drink of water." said Red Fox. "Food and water, no one would dare turn that down."

     "That's a great idea," said Br'er Rabbit. 'Let me see. I just dug up some beautiful carrots in the field this morning, and I'll show the Tar Baby where the spring is so he can get some refreshing water."

     "Sounds like a winner to me!" exclaimed Red Fox. "Do yah mind if I come along to see what happens? Who knows, I might learn a thing or two."

     "Not at all," said Br'er Rabbit. "After all it was your idea."

     "The last time I saw him, he was over there looking at the beautiful mountains," said Red Fox.

     So off they go, Br'er Rabbit and Mr. Red Fox to the location where the Tar Baby was last seen, and when they arrive, sure enough, there he is looking at the beautiful mountains. Mr Fox stays in the background while Br'er Rabbit trys to make friends with the Tar Baby.

     Br'er Rabbit says, "Good day to you Tar Baby. I brought you something to eat. I picked them this morning especially for U."
     He extends his paw, holding two large orange carrots, towards the Tar Baby, but he doesn't even look at Br'er Rabbit. So Br'er Rabbit sits down on the ground and starts telling the Tar Baby about his day--all the time his paw is extended towards the Tar Baby. "Did you sleep well last night?  Would U like a cool drink of water? Is your family close by?"
      Br'er r Rabbit talked all afternoon and into the evening , but the Tar Baby didn't answer him or even look at him, one time. When Br'er Rabbit would get tired, Red Fox would appear and encourage him to keep trying. 

.

     "Keep talking,"  said Red Fox. "He looks like he's softening up a little. I believe he even moved  his head"

     But after hours of incessant chatter, believe it or not, Br'er Rabbit had enough. He got up against Red Fox's advice and hopped away.

     Well, kids, I would say that Br'er Rabbit did everything he could to make friends with the Tar Baby.
Sometimes we can't be friends with every one we meet or like. Maybe Tommy Turtle was right. We'll see. Part III, and the ending to the story of Br'er Rabbit and the Tar Baby will be available next week, and I sure hope, my cousins, Cloudy and Rain show up by then, because Rolo is right here with me.

Kid Stuff: Jokes:
Q.  Did you hear about the big fight at the candy store?    A. Yeah, a lollypop got licked.

Questions.:
1. Do you know what a Griot is?
2. What do rabbits eat besides carrots?
3. Whose advice would you take Tommy Turtle, or Red Fox?
4. How many times would you try to make friends with a person who shuns you?
5. How many times should you forgive a person?


Take care,

 Magpie

KIDSMART, The Children's Workshop/Craftshop  and KIDSMART Fdn. 1985, are registered TM(s).KSBs  coprights 2002-2011, all rights reserved. KidSmart Books is a subsidiary of the KidSmart Fdn. GACM,Inc..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate